Sunday, March 8, 2009

Manassas National Battlefield Park - Manassas, Virginia

This weekend's destination was Manassas National Battlefield Park. It's only about a 15 minute drive from my house so it was the perfect place to spend a few hours exploring. The Civil War fascinates me and just this past year, my husband and I took a trip to Gettysburg and I loved it. You can feel the history in the air as you walk what used to be harsh, bloody battlegrounds. I ventured out by myself and quickly realized that I wasn't the only one taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather ( 74 degrees to be exact!). It seemed that every area in the park I went to I was met with dozens of people. I even had to wait for a parking spot to open up at one of the areas. I was discouraged early on because I really didn't want to be around a bunch of tourists. Not that there's anything wrong with tourists, I mean technically I was one as well. I just wanted some quiet time to myself. Be careful what you wish for.

I finally made my way to the unfinished railroad and as I drove down a secluded road that eventually turned into an isolated dirt road I began to hope I would run into others when I got there. No such luck. I was by myself, and after spending about 5 minutes taking photos of the clearing in the trees that would have been the site of a railroad if everyone working on it hadn't been slaughtered, I heard snapping twigs in the woods and decided it wasn't worth it and ran back to the car! After that, I decided that having people around me might not be such a bad thing after all.

              

                           

              

I'm not going to lie, I really hoped something mysterious would have happened while I was there. I absolutely believe those who have had encounters with the unexplained, whether it be on a battlefield or in a house, etc. While exploring Gettysburg, some interesting things happened to my camera in places where really horrible events occurred. However, nothing out of the ordinary happened this weekend. I'm still holding out hope for next time.

3 comments:

Unknown March 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

LOVE your pictures.

My mom used to take us the Manassas Battlefield all the time as kids. SO much history there and its hard to believe all that happened on the land we live on now!

SUGAMAMA'S CAFE' March 10, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Beautiful... I could write endless stories from your photos!

-L March 10, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Thank you ladies!

Sugamama: that is quite a compliment, thank you :)

Recent Posts

About This Blog

Just a small photo project to get me back in touch with nature. I'll explore Regional and National parks close to home and where ever I may travel, armed with a good pair of hiking boots and a camera.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP